Using an AED/Defibrillator/Defib is the answer to Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA).
DEFIB SUCCESS STORY
A defibrillator saved a man's life earlier this year.
St John supplies three types of defibrillators:
- Heart Start Defib - our most popular defib
- FRx - for outdoor use
- FR3 - the choice for health care professionals
NO DEFIB YET? DON'T RISK THESE ODDS:
- Without a defibrillator, the SCA survival rate is 2-5%
- The chance of survival reduces by 10% for every passing minute without defibrillation
- Average ambulance response time is 9-14 minutes in metro areas - up to 30 minutes in regional areas. This may be too long. Don't risk it - get a defib now
- SCA can strike anyone, any time anywhere
PROOF THAT HAVING A DEFIB NEARBY SAVES LIVES
A study published in an October 2000 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine suggests that survival rates are highest when defibrillation is delivered within three minutes of the time of collapse.
This study is further backed up by a study of incidents at the MCG and the Shrine of Remembrance that showed that:
'Out of 28 victims of sudden cardiac arrest 86% left the venue alive', having been treated at the scene with a defib. This is significant when compared with the average survival rate in Australia of around 3%.
Don't take the risk of not having a defib nearby